Re: Toccata and Fugue (D11, ME, Three Drinks)

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:56 am

"I could tell." Zane offered with a smirk. "If I didnt know better I'd accuse him of trying to get me drunk so he could take advantage of me." He teased with a light laugh. "I can understand why he was popular with the other officers though." That kind of pouring could take you places.

He reached out a hand to accept the glass, a warm smile on his lips. "I'm sure they'll be just fine, sunshine." Zane replied as he brought the glass to his lips for a taste test. Unsurprisingly she had made it well, and he offered her a approving smile as he swallowed. "Its excellent."

"That might work, at least to help us get a feel for each other." Though it wasnt nesacarily easy. "Should we go ahead and start? Or should we take a few moments to enjoy our drinks?"
Neutral * Human* Freelance * Well Dressed * Retired Military * Drifter * Fast Hands * Experienced Hat

Gear: Audh'reh (blaster pistol), Izze'belle (blaster pistol), Noth (vibroknife, hidden), Hat Jacket, Gloves, stims, utility belt, secure comm link

Ship: Three Drinks Smells like: Whiskey, Cigarettes, Cologne
Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:06 am

For her, the only pouring she'd been doing for her superior officer was keeping a fresh supply of kaff in the Commander's office. Which was why some of the best kaff was found there.

Lyseil did watch him with interest as he sampled the drink, and felt a small wave of relief as he seemed to approve. "Oh... that's good to hear. I was a little worried you might think it unoriginal, compared to the drinks you make." Smiling, she took a sip from her own glass.

"Maybe a break from music to enjoy the drinks? I was kind of wondering what you might be curious about me, since I don't seem to have nearly half as many surprises as you do...?" she felt like he had all sorts of interesting things to tell about himself, while she had already covered most of the interesting parts.
Alderaanian Princess | Human | Sergeant | Archaeologist | Natural Scholar and Hunter | Enthusiastic | Heightened Awareness
Profile | Theme 2

Has: Tailored armored uniform (House Panteer), Nova Blaster pistol, datapad, stims, commlink, utility belt with odds and ends
Combat: House Panteer Forces Armor (Defense 1, reduce damage from fire and burn by 1), grenades, Nova Blaster pistol, extra ammo, stims, utility belt with odds and ends
Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:59 am

"Knowing the classics is important, and it's even more important to be able to make them well. They're really what show someone's skill." He offered the woman a warm smile. "Plus, they're actually some of my favorites."

"I like that idea." He slipped from his chair and made his way over to the couch, may as well be comfortable after all. "I think you have more then enough surprises, but there were a few things I was curious about. Like when you decided you wanted to be an archaeologist?" His eyes turned towards her, his curiosity evident. "Was it something recent, or a dream you've had since you were young?"
Neutral * Human* Freelance * Well Dressed * Retired Military * Drifter * Fast Hands * Experienced Hat

Gear: Audh'reh (blaster pistol), Izze'belle (blaster pistol), Noth (vibroknife, hidden), Hat Jacket, Gloves, stims, utility belt, secure comm link

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:18 am

"That's good to know," she grinned a little as she sat down beside him on the couch, not keeping a distance between them, but for now close as one might sit with a good friend. "I don't think I could've managed to make something as fanciful as the one we made earlier. Maybe I could've tried to experiment a creation of my own, but I have a feeling that could've easily been a disastreous result."

"Hmm..." she sipped her drink once more, trying to compile together all the little reasons that led her there. "I always liked discovering things. A very early memory I have... it was from when the Sith Empire had attacked Alderaan. My brother and I were sent to my uncle's estate, as it would be safe there. It's up in the mountains, somewhat inaccessible and not on any maps so it would be difficult to find. I remember that he used to keep us occupied with all sorts of game, so we wouldn't be worried - not that I was, since I didn't really understand what was going on, but Reland was older and understood enough to know something bad was going on. So uncle made us a treasure map of his estate - indoors and outdoors - where he had hidden some of his own personal treasures for us to find. I think we spent a couple of days on finding everything, especially since he did make it challenging for two young children." There was a certain warmth in her expression as she reminisced about such an early memory. "The treasures were things like a picture of him and our aunt, or a medal... all things that had a meaning to him. And for each item we found, he'd tell us something about it. A bit like what we've been doing tonight, and the other night too."

Lyseil leaned back a little in her seat as she settled in more comfortably.

"Then when I got older, I had a great interest in history... I was so interested in learning why things were the way they were, how what had happened before had shaped things as they are today. And well, at some point my father showed me the Han Kaine movies. You know, those old B-films? Galaxy Raiders of the Lost Holocron, Sith Temple of Doom, The Last Jedi Crusade, and Kingdom of the Kyber Crystal Skull?" A sheepish chuckle escaped her lips. "I just loved the cheesy adventures in those movies, the excitement... but also how he travelled all across the galaxy to all sorts of places, and made all those discoveries. It really made me want to do the same - not just remain on Alderaan and have a career in politics or the military."

"So after graduating the Academy, and finishing my military service, I took the first chance I got to travel to Coruscant and sign up on a program to learn from a professor in archaeology. And well... that led to Felucia, and the acklay. But, I got to travel a lot more after that as a research assistant while also working on my own degree. Not that my thesis is going to be something too thrilling though, unless you're interested in some of the earliest Jawa settlements on Tatooine?" Lyseil laughed lightly at that, knowing that everyone had to start somewhere.
Alderaanian Princess | Human | Sergeant | Archaeologist | Natural Scholar and Hunter | Enthusiastic | Heightened Awareness
Profile | Theme 2

Has: Tailored armored uniform (House Panteer), Nova Blaster pistol, datapad, stims, commlink, utility belt with odds and ends
Combat: House Panteer Forces Armor (Defense 1, reduce damage from fire and burn by 1), grenades, Nova Blaster pistol, extra ammo, stims, utility belt with odds and ends
Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:13 am

"I think there are quite a few disastrous results on the journey to a good cocktail, though I would appreciate a warning if you ever decide to try it." He glanced over to her, noticing the distance but not commenting. "I'd like to be able to prepare myself mentally first."

"That's quite the story, I can certainly understand where you got your love of discovery." Even with the circumstances, it seemed almost like a magical time. "Your Uncle seems to be a very fine man as well, it couldn't of been easy taking you all in. Then going through all that effort to try an jeep you distracted, especially when he likely had a host of worries of his own"

He was probably watching her a bit too closely, as she spoke, noticing the way her eyes sparkled with mirth as she laughed, and just how natural, a smile, a grin, looked on her lips. When she leaned back he let his eyes drift away, bringing his glass to his lips as he looked towards the holo screen across the room.

"I haven't watched any of those films in years." Zane offered with a small laugh. "Not since I was in my teens. But then, I dont spend much time watching holovids, and when I do, it's mostly just a excuse to cuddle."

"It seems that you've got what you wanted though, or that you're at least on your way. Adventure and exploration in the sandy hills of Tatooine, well after a pit stop on Bankor." It didnt really sound all that exciting honestly, but you had to start somewhere. "I suppose that's where you're returning to after all this though? Back to you research?"

There was a small pause. "Feel free to stop me if I'm asking too many questions."

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:33 am

"I'll make sure to warn if you if I ever try it," she shot him a mischevious smile. The distance she had chosen was as much for herself as it was for him... at this point, she hadn't yet figured out where she and Niall where at, and... it was too tempting to make foolish mistakes sometimes around Zanebry. She'd hate to hurt Niall, or the friendship between the two men, just because she did something she might regret.

She nodded as he spoke of her uncle. "He's a good man. Retired military... I think he was a colonel or something, but he retired after my aunt died. Before I was born. He mostly keeps a private life, and has a kennel of dogs he uses for hunting when the mood strikes him... I think he didn't mind having me and Reland there to look after, though. He doesn't have any children of his own, so he has often doted on us as is if we were his. Well... perhaps even more than a father normally would," she admitted with a small laugh.

"Don't worry about the questions though... I'll let you know when I've had enough." She gave him a quick wink.

Another nod. "Yes, most likely, I'll be returning there...? I'm not sure though. Being here, I've become so caught up in other ideas. I do want to finish my degree, but I also want to help people - I can't do that out in the Dune Sea on Tatooine, but I can do that from home, or somewhere else. And then there's all this stuff about that stolen Heraldian Cipher from the Uthan Mil museum!" Now she gave out an exasperated sigh, which was for a moment out of place for her. "Every time I think I get closer to figuring that stuff out, it just gets more complicated and I'm standing there with more questions than answers. Well... it often is like that in archaeology too, but this one is starting to step quite out of that realm. Rakatan origin, some sort of machine intelligence society, and now some sort of secret group as well. And here I thought when I first started looking into this that it might've just been someone stealing artefacts to smuggle them off of Bankor for profit to some private collector."

She took another sip, as her mind was now getting thoroughly side-tracked from what they had originally talked about. "Sorry. That just slipped out of me."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:50 am

"Good." He offered simply, letting his eyes return to her as she spoke about her Uncle. "A very respectable man." His lips quirked into a wry smile. "Though I'm not sure if he would quite like me... Seems like he might call me a bad influence, or something along those lines."

"Well, if you do decide to head towards Tatooine, feel free to let me know. I'd be happy to give you a ride, and I'm most likely headed somewhere in that direction anyways." He glanced down the hall. "And I have spare rooms enough for a passenger or two."

As she started going on about the stolen artifact he brought his drink to his lips thoughtfully. Maybe he should let her in on this? "Well, this is a pretty complicated matter, I must agree. Though i suppose i could shed light on a few things, at least to a degree."

"Do you recall that woman I called, Miss Amaryllis? Back at the Jizz Lounge in Rygor?"

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:58 am

"Maybe? Hard to tell with him sometimes there. If the dogs like you, that usually wins him over." He was very fond of those dogs. And so was she.

The offer of a ride was a curious one... But more because she couldn't see why Zanebry would want to visit that dustball. "Now why would you want to go to Tatooine? It's hardly a place for a gentleman like yourself." She regarded him with a raised eyebrow, before nodding at the last question. "The dark haired lady with the tattoo and impossible skin tight dress, yes-yes? I remember her."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 am

"I don't think I'll ever get the chance to meet him, but if I do I'll try and remember that." Though he had never had a pet, and was quiet unsure how a pack of dogs might react to him... Probably poorly.

"I dont really have a destination after this, other then the Outer Rim. I'll probably try and hunt down information on Orar Varad, but that's not going to be quick in coming. I'll probably have to make some inquiries then wait for a lead to come in." Zan shrugged. "That will take some time, I might as well help out a friend while I wait, and who knows maybe there will be a bit of work on the Dustball." He looked her way and offered a warm smile. "Of course I'd be lying if I didnt say I'd also like a chance to spend more time with you."

"That's the one." He really enjoyed that dress. "Well, shes the one that stole that artifact from the museum... In order to return it to its original owners. One of which I think was the Droid that walked at her side. Remember how it walked almost like a real woman would?"

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:28 am

She wasn't quite sure what to say to that. The past times spent with Zanebry she had enjoyed a lot, and she did want to spend more time with him too... But maybe she should figure things out before making promises.

"Perhaps. I'll think about it... I do appriciate your company, after all," she said with calm but a smile as well.

As he described the droid, as well as the woman's motives, og all made sense and she felt like she was another piece of the puzzle. "That makes sense... And, I know about that droid." Her brow furrowed in thought. "Jedi Baesal Zyn spoke of it."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:08 am

"There's no rush, Lyseil." Zane replied with a soft chuckle. "You've already told me you're not quite sure of your plans after this anyways." Though he thought she might be slightly over thinking things. The offer would stand, even if they remained merely friends.

"She mentioned it to me as well." He shook his head. "Said something about it accessing the Republic systems shortly after we arrived at Bankor? Though I couldn't be certain as to the reasons." He paused a moment looking her way. "I suppose there is a bit more I could share with you, but are you certain you want to know?"

"It might make it harder for you to return to Tatoonie, to pursue your dream."

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 am

Lyseil blinked, clearly confused. "I... don't understand? How do you mean it will make it harder for me?"
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:07 pm

"Because you are a compassionate woman, Lyseil. You want to help people. Knowing something about what this group plans will inform your decision, but it may not make it easier. This is not a group of righteous individuals, after all"

He shook his head. "Not to mention that the more you know, the more danger you might be in." His lips quirked into a smile. "Though I know you'll tell me not to treat you like your helpless."

"And I dont intend to. I just didnt want to involve any more without asking you."

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 pm

She wasn't quite sure what this group could do to change her decisions to help others... "I don't see how just knowing more about these dangerous people will put me in danger? I mean, do these people have some telepathic capabilities that trigger if you speak their name, like some sort of boogeyman?"

Lyseil had a lot of confidence, after all, so it was hard to get her to back down.
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:09 pm

That wasnt what he meant exactly what he meant but it was close enough. "Well the have a machine intelligence that can seemingly pass through republic computer defenses like they were not really there."

"So that's likely the next best things. But your right, I shouldn't worry that much." He brought his glass to his lips. "The ladies boss is The Clever Man, I'm fairly certain he is a highly placed member of the Star Cabal. As for the Star Cabal, their current goal is to restart the War between the Republic and the Empire. That's not their end goal though... The end goal is a bit more sinister."

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 pm

"That makes sense. About the droid I mean. Hmmm... if they have such a dislike for Force Users, I guess that could be part of their goal to force the Empire and Republic to war?"

She paused. "... even more sinister?"
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:31 pm

"Well you stumbled on it there." Zane offered with a crooked smile. "I believe they intend to destroy those two orders completely. The Jedi, and the Sith that is. "

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Lyseil frowned as she seemed to be in deep thought.

"This is a lot to think about... Hmmm..." she took a deep sip of the martini. "Maybe a too heavy a topic to think about right now?"
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 pm

"Probably so." He agreed with a small smile. They were supposed to be enjoying themselves after all. "I think it's your turn to ask me a question though?"

"That is, if you have something you're curious about?"

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:38 pm

"Right, right," she nodded and brushed back her hair.

"Guess it seems fair to turn things around now though; how did you get into all this mystery solving and detective work?"
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:23 pm

"Ah.... You don' task the easy questions do you, Lyseil?" Zane asked,his eyes on her for a few long moments. "I could skip a few parts, hide some of my motivations, but I suppose that would be against the spirit of what we are doing here."

There was a lingering pause as he brought the glass to his lips for a small sip. "When I told you I was retired, that was a rather generous interpretation of the actual facts. I was forced to retire, would likely be closer to the truth, I didn't want to leave." His eyes drifted up the the ceiling as the drink left his lips. "The last mission I did for the Republic, the SIS went rather poorly, in all honestly it was a bit of a hot mess, and steps had to be taken so the mess didn't spread. Someone had to take a fall for all of it, shoulder the blame, and as the only surviving member of my team, that fell to me. I was disavowed, my service records wiped, and returned to the Republic military where I was honorably discharged from service at the rank of sergeant." His lips curled into a wry smirk. "It could of been worse, but I have some friends that helped me land on my feet."

"After that I was a bit lost, I didn't quite know what to do. Sis was my home, my team my family. all I knew was I wanted to get back at the man who put me in this position. So I went with what I knew, information. I went digging for it, helping some people, hurting others. Back in those days it was all a ends to a means... I wasn't very picky about who I might hurt, as long as I got closer to my goal..."

Z looked her way, a bit of a apology behind his eyes. "It was like that for years, living with out a care, taking what jobs I could to make ends meet, so I could get closer to my goals. Things started to change a bit though, during those peace talks in Nar Shaddaa, I was close so very close to the object of my revenge..." He lets his eyes drift away to his glass as he studied it for a few moments, slowly turning the stem between his fingers. "It was looking for that revenge I stumbled upon Project Evolution. That was a turning point, one I might not of made if I didn't have some good friends around. Though I won't lie, part of me put a stop to it, just to foil Matthis's plans. He wanted that virus for his own purposes."

"By the end of it all, everything had changed. Matthis was dead, though I had no hand in it. The years I spent chasing him were nothing but dust... The family I lost would never rest easy..." He shook his head, dismissing those thoughts as he brought the glass to his lips for another drink. "I knew I couldn't keep going the way I was though, there was nothing there anymore. so I took a different path. Using my skills to help where I can, to help those that need it. To find information and try to prevent people from becoming like Eralynn. It's the only skills I really have, and redemption is a long road."

Zane let his eyes drift towards Lyseil, a ghost of a smile on his lips. "Does that answer the question?"

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:06 am

She gave him a small nod, appriciating that he trusted her enough to be open about this, but she let him speak without interruption, except to offer him a hand to hold when it seemed parts of the story weighed heavily on him still. There were parts that troubled her a little, but she accepted it was a past that Zanebry had mostly moved on from - that he was openly speaking of it was almost trusting.

"It was a more thorough answer than I could have expected, Z. Thank you... for showing that kind of trust in me," her thumb brushed across the line of a scar on his hand. "I think... it's easy for people who have experienced hardships to turn to such paths. Easy for me to say, I know, coming from priviliege and wealth, but... I think it's important to believe in second chances. And to help offer those second chances."

There was a couple of other questions the story had brought to mind, though she decided to ask them some other time.
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:34 am

He accepted her hand when it was offered, a small part of his mind wondering if they weren't holding hands a bit too often. Niall likely wouldn't approve.

"I suppose it is, under the right circumstances." He murmured after a few moments of silence, playing with the idea of leaning in for another kiss. The thought was dismissed though, he tended to kiss far too easily, and he was happy enough feeling the way her thumb caressed his scar. "Its easy to stumble along the way though, and sometimes I forget how far might be too far." He hadn't needed fo say half the things he did to Keilynn. "Its been nice too being here, close to people that believe in me. Even if I do tend to remind them that I'm not a good man."

Zanebry Varliss

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 am

"Maybe you just need to be reminded sometimes that you can be a good man too?" she chuckled and squeezed his hand reassuringly. It was a very supportive gesture, but most signs pointed to Lyseil naturally being a kind and supportive person. Most of the time.

"It's easier to see ourselves as less than what we would like to be, because it's harder to looks past regrets and previous faults." Psychology wasn't something she had read too much of, but she had picked up some from her casual reading on a variety of subjects.
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:27 am

"Maybe." The reassuring squeeze was returned as his lips curled into a amused smile. He shouldn't read to much into the gesture though, and he tried not to. The lady was with his friend after all.

"That's sounds accurate." Zane offered with a small laugh, before bringing his glass up for another sip. "Though if we want to step down that rabbit hole, I might need another drink or three." His eyes drifted down for a moment to where their hands were connected, before back towards her eyes.

"Should we try that duet now?" Z asked softly, he didnt exactly want to part, but the more they sat this close, the more he started to notice all the wrong things.

Zanebry Varliss

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics