A rugged frontier town built around an oasis in the Black Sands Desert.

(D5 EE) Draaghed Out

Postby Tethys Carrack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:24 am

As the heat of the day finally begins to recede, Tethys makes her way back into the occupied city. With the hood of her nondescript robes pulled up over her head, she succeeds in passing the occasional Kryze patrols by blending herself in with groups of Zabrak passersby.

Cautiously, she retraces this afternoon's steps to the bazaar where the sand demon had been set loose. Leaning against a wall slightly out of the main flow of people, she watches the action of the place for a while. Order has been restored (as much as possible), and the shop- and stall-keepers selling basic daily necessities like food and simple household goods are back in business, but the market is clearly a shadow of its prewar self. Many shops that would have sold more expensive or frivolous goods before the invasion are tightly shuttered, if not smashed, and the citizens of Rygor go about their evening grocery shopping in apprehensive quiet.

---
D5 EE--stealth vs. hard, oww: 2eA+3eD 1 success
ImageImageImageImageImage
Jedi ○ Human ○ Republic Affiliated ○ Tall ○ Profile Link
Obvious accoutrements: Robes, utility belt, lightsaber, comlink; backpack and/or Jedi armor when needed; faint but distinct scent of sea air.
"Jedi are peaceful, not idiots."
Tethys Carrack

Re: (D5 EE) Draaghed Out

Postby Dapper Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 am

She spied another hooded person who revealed himself to an older couple and handed them a parcel of food it looked like. He fished into his pack and then handed off another bit to another couple before pulling up his hood as a patrol moved by in an armored vehicle.

He turned in walked in her direction though he does not seem to have seen her.
Head GM | Darth Chocolate of the Sith | Duelist
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 am

Tethys raises an eyebrow upon spotting the familiar face. After watching him for a few moments, she abandons her spot holding up the wall and glides along a path that intercepts his.

"For a mercenary, you are a surprisingly generous man, Mr. Draagh."

She speaks in a low voice, reaching up a hand to tug back her hood just slightly so her face is visible from the side.
Obvious accoutrements: Robes, utility belt, lightsaber, comlink; backpack and/or Jedi armor when needed; faint but distinct scent of sea air.
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 am

“I have more than I need; I see no reason to not share my good fortune with others. They need it far more than I do,” he said calmly.

“They are old, without charity they would starve. No one should die of hunger.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 am

"I agree completely." Tethys falls into step with him, letting her hood fall forward again a little. "But it's not a common opinion in beings who call themselves hired guns." Her lips quirk a little. "Nor a favored one in the part of the galaxy you come from, I believe.

"Thank you for the flower, by the way."
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:13 am

“There are charities in the Empire, believe it or not. Many are Sith run. The Sith value power and staying in power, and often that means swaying the minds of the masses. I mean they are tyrannical power mongers but the ones that maintain power are no fools,” he said as they walked.

“And you are welcome, it was an interesting find for an interesting person.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:32 am

"Yes... however did you find that in the desert?" Tethys quirks a brow beneath her hood. "It was kind of you, but you also set me a small conundrum to wonder about."

After a moment, she adds in a thoughtful tone, "I would have thought charity to the dispossessed would be a weakness in the upper ranks of the Empire. Conceding that you need to keep the little people mollified lest they topple you from power... isn't exactly a victory through dominance."
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:47 am

“It’s… complicated. They don’t announce they are giving to charity they have companies and fronts to do that for them. That way in public I guess they can the Sith the Republic knows and loathes,” Draagh said with a thoughtful tone.

“In the background they make sure they give the people just enough comforts that they never feel the need to question their rule… at least from my observation. No one will think to topple you if they have ample food and purpose in their lives. Even if a Sith can end your life with a whim.”

He frowned and said, “I apologize if I rambled.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 pm

"Not at all. It's part of my calling to be interested in these things." she replies calmly.

"So, in a sense, those powerful Sith are hypocrites by the standards of their own code. That is interesting." She goes on a few steps in silence before adding, "You've done a lot of observation of the Empire's inner circles, it seems."
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:48 pm

“I was a soldier, a warrior. We have more contact with the Sith than most in the Empire. Which means more chances to die, as they have absolute authority over most soldiers,” he said ruefully.

“I find it interesting that the Jedi don’t take more positions of power, it seems it would make things easier for you as an Order. Perhaps that is by design though?”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 am

Tethys isn't sure that explanation is quite convincing. A common soldier might have some exposure to Sith officers, certainly, but why in the worlds would such a soldier know all about his superiors' habit of hiding philanthropic work behind shell companies? Each of Draagh's claims casts the other one into suspicion. Still, she holds her tongue on the question for now.

"Easier? I wouldn't think so. As you've observed yourself, holding on to power is a tricky process. And the galaxy doesn't need Jedi to lead, not the whole Order anyway. The Republic's member worlds are full of intelligent citizens willing to devote themselves to governance." She shakes her head slightly. "We stay on the outside, and give support in the ways that actually require our abilities. Ruling isn't one of those. When Jedi have tried it, it's usually gone badly ."

"So... why did you choose to become a soldier?"
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 am

“I had little choice in my path,” he responded.

“So now I just do what I know. I suppose that explanation may not be the whole truth. I had some opportunities to take different paths but my family was not influential enough or wealthy enough. So I served where I could.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:15 am

"Hum. But you did make the choice to leave eventually," Tethys says in a vaguely considering sort of tone. "What would you have chosen if you could choose freely?"
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 am

Draagh considered that question carefully. He finally said, “I would like to be a person of influence to bring some sanity to the internecine games that plague Imperial society, mostly among the nobility and the Sith.”

“I am not sure what that would, a politician? Inquisitor? I don’t know. Without much power no one will listen to one such as I.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 am

"From my understanding--as an outsider--not many people short of the Sith themselves reach that level of power." Tethys purses her lips thoughtfully, watching the action of the bazaar around them. "There are any number of newly settled Republic worlds that would offer citizenship in exchange for a period of public service of some kind, though. A chance to be a full, influential member of a less stratified society, if you choose the right place."

She watches Draagh sidelong as she raises this possibility. Instinctively, she doesn't really expect him to take it up--but she's quite curious to see how he does react.
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:24 am

Draagh listened and then replied calmly, “Less stratified perhaps but familiar. The Empire is not a place of living agony, no more so than the Republic is a paradise. It is my home though, warts and all.”

“I am sure I will go back one day, better for my time abroad, so to speak. I mean if the roles were reversed, and it was a possibility there are many Imperial worlds and colonies an ambitious person could go to make a life of significance, would you take it?”

He shrugged and added, “It isn’t an easy decision. Well perhaps that is just me, and my patriotism and love of home outweigh the issues I see and experience.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 am

She nods. "Jedi are at home everywhere and nowhere, and I don't actually know where I was born. So our situations are not quite... analogous. But your thinking is similar to many Republic citizens I know. Though for the most part, their reluctance to submit to Imperial government would not be be based solely on love of home." It's a kriffing ball of mud, but it's my ball of mud and my vote's as good as anybody else's here, she vividly remembers one acquaintance's words.

"Is it safe to return to the Empire as an Imperial subject who's hired out to the Republic military? The two governments are not at war now, but relations are still complicated."
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:13 pm

“I hope so,” he said honestly.

“I suppose I will find out when the time comes. Oh yes, Jedi are taken at an early age. It seems odd that people just allow that to happen, but I suppose becoming a Jedi is a prestigious position with the Republic. I see how the people look and defer to you, master Jedi.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Her lips quirk. "Not quite that early. I was an older child before I joined the Order. Before that I lived with a family who opened their homes to an alien child and took me in when I was very small." Her tone becomes a bit more reflective as she adds, "It was my home, but I never completely belonged there. Coming to the Jedi was like finally becoming part of a whole."

Tethys shrugs one shoulder. "Many people do respect us if we hold to our code, but that's not really the main point. Once you know you have power, you have to learn to use it responsibly, or else people may get hurt."
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:45 am

“I am not sure I could imagine you using your power irresponsibly, but then again people are capable of anything,” he responded calmly.
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:16 am

"I am flattered that you think so... but we all make choices that shape our actions." Tethys sighs, the knot that's been sitting in her chest since the fight with the sand demon this afternoon feeling heavier. "There's always a possibility of making a wrong one, just as there's always a possibility of making a right one. I just do as much as I can to keep the former chance smaller than the latter. The work is constant, though, for anyone."
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 am

Draagh stopped to take a drink and then knelt down and left a parcel in a doorway, “Well I think we all struggle with our natures to be better or worse than we believe we are. Or maybe we do things to make up for those things we do in our darker moments.”

“I am not sure, I do know that you and your people brought down a dangerous creature. The people are thankful.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:31 am

"I don't know if we can truly 'make up for' the choices we make that harm others, or ourselves. It's not like moving weights around on a scale," Tethys muses, casting a curious glance at the package. "A change that lasts is worth more than swinging back and forth... how did you know I was thinking about that creature, by the way?"
Tethys Carrack

Postby Dapper Dog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am

“Intuition?” he mused. He didn’t say anything else as he paused at a street corner and looked around.

“I am not sure I knew for certain but it seemed likely it was on your mind.”
Dapper Dog

Postby Tethys Carrack » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:06 am

"Hm. Jedi trust intuition. Usually."

She notices the way he's looking around, puts it together with the package and her own thoughts. "Am I keeping you from something?" she asks lightly.
Tethys Carrack

Next
Forum Statistics