Republic Encampment

Re: Almost-Nearly Off-Duty (D4, EE)

Postby Tra Kize » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Changing the subject and direction of conversation, "So, did you study on Alderaan Sergeant Panteer? Or at an off-world university?"
Neutral * Kel Dor * Scholar * Retired Republic Staff Officer * Commanding Presence * Resolute
Equipment: Long Range Comlink, Datapad, Light Blaster Pistol, Antitox Breath Mask, Heavy Clothing

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 pm

"Alderaan, sir. The Alderaan Select Academy for Young Ladies," she confirmed with a nod. "Very prestigious and snobby, but that's a majority of Alderaanian institutions for you. Being part of the royal House of Alderaan, all of us are obligated to attend the most prestigious schools. But after my graduation I've worked with professor Fez Burba out of Coruscant as I work on my doctorate."

Lyseil gave him a curious look in return. "What about you, sir? Given the prevalence of atmospheres with high amounts of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and oxygen on most populated planets, Dorin seems a likely guess?"
Alderaanian Princess | Human | Sergeant | Archaeologist | Natural Scholar and Hunter | Enthusiastic | Heightened Awareness
Profile | Theme 2

Has: Tailored armored uniform (House Panteer), Nova Blaster pistol, datapad, stims, commlink, utility belt with odds and ends
Combat: House Panteer Forces Armor (Defense 1, reduce damage from fire and burn by 1), grenades, Nova Blaster pistol, extra ammo, stims, utility belt with odds and ends
Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:28 am

"Only for a single semester. But the education standards on Dorin are quite high as a result of the Baran Do Sages' guidance, so it tends to be relatively easy for Kel Dor to transfer to most institutions. When I felt the urge to take a more active role in the defense of the Republic I requested entry into the Naval Academy on Coruscant and was accepted. The transition was difficult, and I ended up in the hospital twice due to atmosphere control unit failures during my stay there. But at this point, I usually even sleep with my mask on, even when in atmosphere controlled quarters," he says, explaining his background a bit more.

"I am surprised you went the path of enlistment rather than commissioning. Any particular reason for that?"
Neutral * Kel Dor * Scholar * Retired Republic Staff Officer * Commanding Presence * Resolute
Equipment: Long Range Comlink, Datapad, Light Blaster Pistol, Antitox Breath Mask, Heavy Clothing

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 am

"All members of House Panteer spend some time in the House Force; it's tradition, as we acknowledge that sometimes military actions are a nescessity for keeping the peace and aiding those in need," she nodded cheerfully. "So it was more family tradition than anything that led me to the military. With Alderaan showing solidarity with Bankor in its time of need, I am here to represent the royal house of Panteer and Queen Silara to give our support to the Republic and the Resistance!"

"I don't really like fighting, to be honest, and I think war is something we as civilized species should be well-past by now, but... I will help where there's a need!"
Alderaanian Princess | Human | Sergeant | Archaeologist | Natural Scholar and Hunter | Enthusiastic | Heightened Awareness
Profile | Theme 2

Has: Tailored armored uniform (House Panteer), Nova Blaster pistol, datapad, stims, commlink, utility belt with odds and ends
Combat: House Panteer Forces Armor (Defense 1, reduce damage from fire and burn by 1), grenades, Nova Blaster pistol, extra ammo, stims, utility belt with odds and ends
Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 am

"An honorable duty, for certain. You honor your family and homeworld by representing them. But I find it more curious that you don't hold an officers rank. Usually with such a level of education and being a member of a noble house, a commission would be normal. Though I have met a few enlisted soldiers who are highly educated or nobles, it's generally the exception."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 am

"Well... I simply don't have the level of experience to hold too much of a higher position," she admitted sheepishly. Though she skipped admitting that she started out as a sergeant from the get-go because of nepotism! "Some level of proficiency must be shown to be a leader when there are people's lives on the line! I don't think I would feel comfortable being in a position of command yet, knowing that so many people relied on me."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:15 am

"I see. Well, not all officers hold command positions. I myself didn't get my first command until I made Captain, serving in staff roles. And even after that command assignment, I later went back to staff officer positions where I acted in an advisory capacity to higher level commanders."

He considers her for a moment. "I imagine that when your current enlistment is up it will be back to full time archaeology? If not and you plan on continuing service, I would highly recommend putting in a commissioning package. Your family, education and enlisted experience would make it practically guaranteed."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:26 am

"I will keep it under consideration, sir. Thank you!" She smiled brightly while wondering what Kel Dors looked like when they smiled.

"Let's are how things go first, yes-yes? It wouldn't do to put the cart before the horse, to use an outdated term."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 am

"Of course. You said you were working on your doctorate, how is that going?"

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 pm

"If not for being here for this war, it would probably be a couple of more months of work. Professor Burba has been my guidance counsellor for my thesis on the earliest settlers of Tatooine! So... unless I discover something amazing here, that's what I will return to working on after the liberation of Bankor is complete."

She chuckled with some bashfulness. "It's probably not terribly exciting for those outside the field of study, but I'm told that it's normal for someone in the start of their career to cover less interesting topics."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 pm

"It is important work, learning the origins and history of civilization. We never know what will be found until it is unearthed. It can teach us a great deal about why things are the way they are and help understand the rationale behind current social tendencies."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm

"Yes-yes! Exactly!" Lyseil was like a ray of sunshine, since it seemed like the Kel Dor understood why archaeology was so fascinating! "It's really amusing how archaeological discoveries often unearth more questions than answers, but it's still great to search for more of those answers to piece together the puzzles."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 pm

"I may not be versed in the techniques of archaeological research, but the value of the findings and understanding provided are not lost on me. Like all sciences, it seeks to reveal the truth... while simultaneously giving a physical workout," he replies with a chuckle. "If I'd gone into that field I'd have likely needed to replace my knees by now."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 pm

"Oh yes, it's certainly not the pursuit for those who shy away from getting their knees bruised and their hands dirty!" she giggled exuberantly. "But having studied logistics and such, like you have, is also greatly important, sir. People really just don't appriciate that kind of work unless they don't get what they need!"
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm

"Many fields of study are under appreciated by those affected by them. Appreciation for it is generally lost on those who are overly focused. I myself can be guilty of it, try as I might otherwise. There are so many disciplines out there that I don't truly understand, how they interact or support the subjects I study. I know theological and spiritual studies have great impacts and to a certain extent get that they impact politics and social norms. But outside of rote memorization of specific cultural preferences I couldn't give specifics and don't really intend to delve into such. All I can do is accept the differences and attempt to account for them in considerations.

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 pm

"Mhm! I never really got too much into theology or spiritualism myself either, but I, like, totally know there's lots of stuff out there, especially in regards to Force traditions of various sorts. The Sith and Jedi just happen to be one of the more prominent ones."

She cocked her head slightly. "The Baran Do Sages of your homeworld is a Force tradition, yes-yes?"
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 pm

"That is the case, though since Dorin has joined the Republic they are falling into obscurity. Before the Jedi, most of our children that were sensitive to the force were taken to the Sages for training. Now, most of them are taken in by the Jedi. Many of our Sages tend to be those that were missed in youth and are older than the Jedi accept," he explains. "I wouldn't be surprised if in the future folks from Dorin don't even know of the Sages unless they are related to them in some way."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 am

"Oh... that's a little sad..." she looked a little crestfallen to learn that the tradition was disappearing. "You don't think it will be preserved?"
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm

"I'm sure it will be maintained, it will just become less prevalent. They have long provided for our people. But we also now have Jedi supporting us in their way as well. I'm sure both groups have shared aspects of their traditions," he replies, not nearly as bothered by it.

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:06 pm

"I guess..." Lyseil wasn't quite sure what she thought. So many times, the local Force traditions of different cultures had died out once the Jedi gained noticeable contact with the population. While she admired the jedi as heroes, she did wish they could be a little more considerate of other traditions.

And the Sith just wiped them out. Or so she had heard.

"I hope it doesn't go away though. It's a great part of your people's history."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:16 pm

"That would be ideal," he says with a nod. "But at the same time, whenever the Jedi subsume a force tradition, they become more capable guardians in the process. It's an unfortunate loss but a useful gain for the Galaxy as a whole. Even if the Baran Do Sages were to disappear in time, their beliefs, abilities and understanding would live on in the Jedi."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:17 pm

"I don't know too much about the Baran Do Sages... how do their philosophies differ and coincide with the Jedi Order?" she asked with some curiosity, always looking to learn more.
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 pm

"Most pointedly they don't have a martial tradition. They are not protectors in the literal sense. They are seers and advisors to Dorin. They have saved many lives by observing portents of destruction and disaster, enabling our people to prepare for natural threats and avoid needless conflict. They act as lore keepers, healers and a guiding force. But once something comes to pass there is little they can do other than prepare us for the next omen."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby Lyseil Panteer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:32 pm

"That sounds really wonderful, and helpful! To guide an entire people to avoid major catastrophes and needless conflict. I really wish more could do that for their homes too... think of how many disasters could be averted or migitated."
Profile | Theme 2

Lyseil Panteer

Postby Tra Kize » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 pm

"It is beneficial," Tra agrees. "But there are some things that having warning of just doesn't really help with. The war with the Imperials for instance. There was nothing that the sages could do to prevent that, and they couldn't fight either. The Jedi could though."

Description
Tra Kize

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics