Portable structures to do vehicle repairs.

Re: (D9, MA, Expecting)- I've got no real hangups

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Cole nodded, running a hand through his hair. The more he spoke to Ar-for about it, the more he was forced to face up to the truth that he was fundamentally broken. Just another sentient organic with irreparable bugs in his genetic code. “Often what people want, and what they think they want are different, or even incompatible. Not to mention that, for any pairing to be successful, both parties have to be willing. That fact alone seems to trip up more than a few sentients who find themselves in the position of unrequited interest.”
Galactic Republic Navy | Captain | Surgeon | Human | Profile | Avatar | Theme2
GEAR: Diagnostic Spectacles, Heavy Clothing, Custom Expanded Medpac, Mini-Med Droid, Datapad, Flask.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

"It's too late for a revolution. Brace for the final solution."
Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 am

The droid seems to become slightly more stiff at that statement. *I have seen this capacity in organics. For individuals who seem concerned with choice and individuality, they seem willing to throw it out the window quite readily when it comes to others.*

R4 moves slightly, almost fidgeting. *Organics are not the only ones with bugs in their code. They are just unaware of them. A droid can only be too conscious of theirs.*
R4 unit * Uses Ze Zem Zer pronouns * Tech * Will fix things for money * "Colorful" past

Jetpack attached, long range comlink installed. Lockpicks inside chassis.

Speaks only in binary and beeps and whistles. Speech indicated by *speech*
R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:13 am

"Have you ever heard the phrase: ignorance is bliss? Some sentients are painfully aware of their own bugs. A sentient with Downs Syndrome or Cerebral Palsy knows all too well that their DNA has malfunctioned. But when it comes to mental and emotional function, the vast majority of them remain blissfully unaware that they are self-sabotaging."

Cole pressed his lips together for a moment, "for the most part, faulty code in a droid can be removed or repaired without damaging the body of the programming," for the most part, he'd read up on V1-V0's own fatal exception. "Even when scientists can determine which part of the code is at fault, removal can have unintended effects, or the faulty code is reinforced somewhere else, and successful removed of the main code doesn't resolve the problem."

Running a hand through his hair, Cole realised that he'd never made his own job sound so difficult before.
GEAR: Diagnostic Spectacles, Heavy Clothing, Custom Expanded Medpac, Mini-Med Droid, Datapad, Flask.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:26 am

The droid bobbed ze's chassis. *And sometimes, the code, though sabotaging, is vital for another component. Or has become intertwined in another operation. Loss of the code would almost require a system wipe. I know that I would not wish for such a thing, no matter what...glitches may occur.*
R4 unit * Uses Ze Zem Zer pronouns * Tech * Will fix things for money * "Colorful" past

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:34 am

"Understandable," Cole agreed. He had some limited computer skills, "is firewalling the damaged program and replacing it with clean programming an option?"
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:40 am

The droid pauses. *It is more a matter of...alternative programming being interlaced with base programming. Several key components had to be reshaped and redone in order to cause them to interface correctly. It has been both interesting and complicated to exist within.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:09 am

"Keep working on it, I'd be interested to know if you come up with a solution."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:17 am

The droid bobs ze's chassis. *If I do, I will endeavor to share what I learn. It is difficult to analyze one's own programming though. It is part of why I chose to focus on organic life. It seemed...simpler at first scan. This was quite deceiving, it turned out.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 am

Nodding, "self-awareness is difficult, but you are programmed to learn, correct? I think you will be ultimately successful."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:24 am

The droid tilts ze's headpiece. *At understanding organic mating practices? Or changing my internal code?*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:27 am

Chuckling softly, "at working out your internal code. I suspect I will be long dead and gone by the time you've unravelled the mysteries of organic mating practices."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:45 am

The droid pauses. *If I set up a server to process the difficulty and offload my current knowledge, that could speed the process. But that would require credits and a secure location, neither of which I currently possess. It will have to wait.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:13 am

With a vaguely sour look, "most things seem to come down to credits. Perhaps you could network with other droids that share your curiosity."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:49 am

The droid bobs ze's chassis. *Credits do seem to hold a large power over all. It is...inconvenient at times. But your suggestion bears merit. I will process it further.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:55 am

"Perhaps there is already a database out there that you could add your knowledge to," he supposed it was possible that as long as there have been droids, they have been trying to unravel the puzzle that was organic life.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:11 am

The droid spins ze's chassis. *Droids, unless they are free, are unlikely to have a great deal of time to devote to such a subject. But perhaps there are collectives that have studied this. Some droids also feel it is fruitless to seek to understand organic life, as it is so alien to our own.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:18 am

"Understanding is not always required. There are many things I will never understand about people, but I am still able to work with them, and on them." He frowned slightly, running a hand through his hair, trying to decide how to elaborate, "some time ago, I found myself with patients from the Empire. They hold entire core belief systems that I don't understand, but some of them I grew to be quite fond of, despite our... incompatabilities."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 am

Knowing that organics don't possess processor ports or software, R4 assumed it must be a physical difficulty.

*Was their genitalia incompatible with your own? I read of this phenomenon on the holonet yesterday. There seemed a great deal of concern and data between species on genitalia and whether it could probably be received. There also seemed to be some sort of strange hierarchy on who gives and receives. I did not understand why.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 am

Cole cleared his throat, feeling his face heat up as the memory of Jo'ren flashed through his mind, "not that sort of fondness, Ar-for. The Empire utilises slavery, for example, and I cannot reconcile that with my own beliefs; but these incompatible ideals did not stop me from making friends." Or more than friends.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:36 am

*Ahh, I made an inaccurate assessment. Organics just seem so concerned with genitalia.*

The droid pivots slightly.

*That is logical. It would be difficult to work with such separate operating systems. Errors would be inevitable.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:45 am

The droid definitely wasn't wrong there. "As with all things organics do, sentient language is often imprecise. I could have been more clear."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:48 am

*So you were unable to reconcile your respective operating systems. Did you engage in combat then?*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:00 am

"Quite the opposite. I was attending the peace talks on Nar Shaddaa, with the purpose of finding a non-combat reconciliation of these incompatiblities." Pushing a hand through his curls, "one of the hardest lessons a sentient can ever learn is that understanding is not necessarily required for respect. Many never learn this."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:05 am

*What is the purpose of respect? Does it hold some intrinsic value? Does it help cease combat?*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:11 am

"Respect can prevent combat, or perhaps aid in ceasing it. Sentients are generally less likely to hurt those they respect. Though it is not perfect protection against conflict."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics