Single large tent divided into a recreation area and a gym.

Working Things Out [D5 LA]

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 am

It was hot. Very very hot, even with the air conditioners struggling to keep it cool.

But that didn't keep Niall from running on the treadmill. He needed to stay in shape. As good of shape as he could be in. Keep himself alive. Keep his men alive.

He breathed heavily, his chest heaving beneath his white tank-top, sweat dripping down his form. His breathing was all the way back to normal after his injury. Good. He pushed himself a bit harder.
Republic | Human | Captain Alderaan | Inspiring Rhetoric | Nice Cape
Niall Organa

Re: Working Things Out [D5 LA]

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:02 am

A familiar figure, more subdued than usual, entered the room. She finally found her captain... until now, at least. She looked all over the place, but the gym was not the first place she would've looked at.

"Captain, my apologies, but may I speak with you? On some... personal matters."
Republic * Sergeant * Soldier * NCO * Confident * Tough * Mandalorian * Human
Carries: Ritual dagger, command insignia, electronic manual
Combat gear: Ritual Dagger, Mandalorian Armor, MK II Paladin, ammo, stimpacks
Languages: Basic, Mando'a
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 am

Niall's hand reached out, adjusting the controls on his treadmill. It slowed, and so did he, gradually.

"Just... just a moment." Niall said as he finally came to a stop. He rested a moment, his hands on his knees, still breathing heavily.

"Okay." He finally said, straightening. With a jerk of his head, he lead the way over into the corner, allowing a bit more privacy. "What can I do for you, Sergeant?"
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 am

Sabine hesitated, before deciding to wade in. "Sir, I would like to resign from the military after the current tour. I'll also need to submit a name change even sooner."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:00 am

Well, that was a surprise. Niall blinked. Then ran a hand across his face. Then blinked again.

"I... see." His brow furrowed with concern. "I gather that something's happened? I'd like you to tell me about it, if you can."
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 am

Sabine took a deep breath. "There was a meeting yesterday evening. With all other Mandalorians, Kryze included. I... was disowned, adopted by Kelborn, and Varo Kryze killed Ky'riad Kelborn in a blood duel. Over me." She stated simply, though at the end there was a break in her voice.
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am

"I see." Niall said. He was silent for a few moments. "I'm sorry." He finally said, his voice quiet.

There was another pause, Niall wiping his brow one more time. "So... he gave his life for you. And you feel responsible. And now you feel that you owe him, more than you could possibly ever repay. Am I close?" He offered her a gentle smile.
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 am

"That too. He also adopted me, and I feel the best way to honor him is to join the Schism. My people, I guess." She let out a breath. "I'... want to be better than this. I'l lfinish the tour here, I don't think it would look good if I dropped, but I'll also need a name change to Kelborn."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:14 pm

"Hmmm." Niall nodded, his grey eyes strangely intent as he watched her.

After a few moments, he shrugged. "Well, the name change is easy enough. One form, and you're done. Mustering out after the campaign should be easy enough too..." He frowned, crossing his bare arms across his chest; sweat made the muscles stand out more noticeably. "But I'm not quite sure what you mean, 'better than this'. Could you elaborate for me, sergeant?"
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:17 pm

"Thank you sir, I appreciate it." She turned thoughtful. "Oh.. I am not happy with myself as a person. I thought I found a goal to stand for... but perhaps I am merely standing behind it, using it as a facade." She sighed. "Yesterday... I feel I should have been the one to duel. I would have lost, I am almost sure of it, but... still. I feel like a coward. Sir."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 pm

Niall sighed. "I cannot deny the importance of fighting for what you believe in." After a few moments, he gave her a nod. "I'll be sorry to lose you, sergeant. You've been a good XO." His lips quirked. "And, dare I say, a good friend."

He straightened, letting his arms drop back to his side. "May I give you a bit of advice? Speaking as someone who's had people die for me, more than once?"
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:06 pm

"You honor me captain." She actually blushed. "You're good people." She sighed, then frowned. "More than once? Of course, sir."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Slowly, Niall nodded. "Twice, very specifically. Perhaps more often generally." He blinked, giving her a sudden look. "Both times sergeants, in fact. Please try not to let history repeat itself."

He cleared his throat, his eyes going distant. "Don't think of it as a debt. That way lies madness, because it really is something you can never repay." He closed his eyes.

When they opened again, he looked at Sabine, his expression serious. "Think of it as a gift. Their last gift. The best way to honor the giver is to do the most you can with it." He spread his hands, smiling. "Of course, you have to figure out how best to do that. In some ways, that's the hard part."
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Niall Organa wrote:Slowly, Niall nodded. "Twice, very specifically. Perhaps more often generally." He blinked, giving her a sudden look. "Both times sergeants, in fact. Please try not to let history repeat itself."

He cleared his throat, his eyes going distant. "Don't think of it as a debt. That way lies madness, because it really is something you can never repay." He closed his eyes.

When they opened again, he looked at Sabine, his expression serious. "Think of it as a gift. Their last gift. The best way to honor the giver is to do the most you can with it." He spread his hands, smiling. "Of course, you have to figure out how best to do that. In some ways, that's the hard part."

"Twice.." She looked him up and down. "Well, you are especially inspiring, to be honest." She smiled, but she was self-conscious. "A gift... eh? I never got a gift. Well, not true. Never got a gift without strings attached. Or expectations. Well, I guess things are expected from me."

She fell deeply in thought. "Well... I want to continue his Crusade. I do feel that the Kryze are kriffing assholes, and... the Schism is all about helping the Republic? So, in a way I'm doing what I've been doing for now, only with.. my people, I guess."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Niall acknowedged the first with a soft chuckle. To the second, he gave a slow nod. "Such can be the nature of gifts."

"Your people." Niall echoed with a sigh. After a moment, he offered her a sad smile. "You must choose your own destiny, of course. But I hope you keep in mind that we're your people, too. And you're welcome anytime."
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:40 pm

"I won't sir. Truth be told, I only felt at home in the military., but if I can help people to be... not like me? To know something other than war? It'll be worth it. And the Crusade should allow me that, I feel. I hope. Figure I might as well give it a try, see if it's any better than what my old man told me." She smiled nervously.

"And don't mourn me yet! I'm still your XO until we kick my former family off this planet, and you better be sure I'm going to be certain to live through to get another medal."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 am

"Ah." Niall gave her a gentle smile. "As it happens, I can understand that, too."

He titled his head, regarding her curiously. "You know, it's a bit funny. Remember the other night, when I said you seemed like the sort that would be happy spending all her life in the military? I am not one of those people. But... that doesn't mean that we're not alike, in many ways."

The smile grew. "And I'm glad you'll be around for that long, anyway. We'll give your former family the boot together."
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 am

Niall Organa wrote:"Ah." Niall gave her a gentle smile. "As it happens, I can understand that, too."

He titled his head, regarding her curiously. "You know, it's a bit funny. Remember the other night, when I said you seemed like the sort that would be happy spending all her life in the military? I am not one of those people. But... that doesn't mean that we're not alike, in many ways."

The smile grew. "And I'm glad you'll be around for that long, anyway. We'll give your former family the boot together."

Sabine nodded. "Yeah.... whether you are a born warrior or not, that doesn't change whether you are willing to fight to protect something precious to you." She smirked. "Looking forward to it sir. And the goodbye celebration too." She winked at him. "How are you handling the heat, sir? If I may ask?"
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Niall flashed her a quick grin. "Is that your way of reminding me that I need to take a shower, sergeant?" Indeed, he was still fairly sweaty, although certainly not smelly; whatever he wore for deodorant seemed to be quite effective.

He shrugged. "But it's alright. Makes me long for the cool forests of Alderaan, but I can handle it."
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Niall Organa wrote:Niall flashed her a quick grin. "Is that your way of reminding me that I need to take a shower, sergeant?" Indeed, he was still fairly sweaty, although certainly not smelly; whatever he wore for deodorant seemed to be quite effective.

He shrugged. "But it's alright. Makes me long for the cool forests of Alderaan, but I can handle it."

Sabine raised her hands. "No sir, not saying anything like that. That is above my paygrade." Se smiled. "Alderaan sounds lovely. Perhaps one day I can visit it. Or who knows, maybe I'll keep doing what I've been doing up until now, fighting battle after battle."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 pm

"It is." Niall sighed. "I've been thinking of it more often lately." His expression grew... it was hard to tell. Wistful, perhaps, but not in an unpleasant way.

He shook his head, giving Sabine a smile. "If fighting battle after battle is what you want, that's fine. But you'd be welcome on Alderaan anytime." He shrugged. "I'll show you around. Be your local guide, if you like."
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am

Niall Organa wrote:"It is." Niall sighed. "I've been thinking of it more often lately." His expression grew... it was hard to tell. Wistful, perhaps, but not in an unpleasant way.

He shook his head, giving Sabine a smile. "If fighting battle after battle is what you want, that's fine. But you'd be welcome on Alderaan anytime." He shrugged. "I'll show you around. Be your local guide, if you like."

"Honestly, I am not sure what I want, but... this might be the first time I am looking for a fight. Not out pride, or spite, you know? I fought because that is what I knew." She hesitated. "Even here... I found reasons, but there was always a disconnect. During fighting, I just went back to my instincts, but now... maybe it's personal? Not sure, but I want to kick these nerfs off the planet with a big ugly boot."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am

After a moment, Niall gave her a firm nod and a smile. "Alright, then. We'll do it. We brought best kicking boots to the party, after all."

"Fighting for what you believe in..." Niall nodded again. "I think, that if you have to do it, that's the best way."
Niall Organa

Postby Sabine Kelborn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am

"Yessir, and the most stylish boots we could find." She smirked as she said that. "Yeah, it's something we can do." She hesitated. "Can you tell me about Alderaan sir? It sounds so... well. Alien, to me. Quite different from my own upbringing. Probably less violence planet-side."
Description
Sabine Kelborn

Postby Niall Organa » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am

Niall chuckled at that. "Of course. One must look one's best."

His grey eyes went briefly distant at Sabine's question. Niall smiled. "I expect it would be different. Alderaan isn't entirely free of violence. But there is rather less of it. Other pursuits are encouraged. Education is free for everyone. We have generous endowments for artists and musicians."

His lips quirked. "This is not to say that there are not those with more. Like me. As a scion of House Organa, I have privileges and responsibilities beyond what many have. But, in exchange, I try to work for the betterment of my people's lives." He sighed. "That's the idea, anyway. The execution is not always perfect."
Niall Organa

Next
Forum Statistics