[D10 MM] R4OXY Goes to Med School

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:23 am

Cole was still in Medical, where else would he be? He'd recently acquired a small droid that he'd unconsciously dubbed Emmed, and there was a plethora of information he wanted to trawl through to identify gaps in the droid's knowledge. He was on his third mug of kaff for the morning, hunched over his datapad.

(( Theme ))
Galactic Republic Navy | Captain | Surgeon | Human | Profile | Avatar | Theme2
GEAR: Diagnostic Spectacles, Heavy Clothing, Custom Expanded Medpac, Mini-Med Droid, Datapad, Flask.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

"It's too late for a revolution. Brace for the final solution."
Dr. Cole Ormont

Re: [D10 MM] R4OXY Goes to Med School

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 am

R4 rolled in to utilize the charging port and perhaps have more conversation Dr. Cole. The doctor's insights on organic life were fascinating to say the least. Ze saw the doctor working with another small droid when ze entered. *Greetings, Dr. Cole.*
R4 unit * Uses Ze Zem Zer pronouns * Tech * Will fix things for money * "Colorful" past

Jetpack attached, long range comlink installed. Lockpicks inside chassis.

Speaks only in binary and beeps and whistles. Speech indicated by *speech*
R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:31 am

"Good morning, Ar-for," he greeted the droid as it rolled in. Usually, he'd object to a non-medical droid crowding up the place, but after their discussion on genetics, he'd come to think of R4OXY as somewhere between 'medical student' and 'scholar-slash-archive', and that earnt her a place in the medbay, at least so long as he wasn't busy.

Turning, straightening, "Ar-for, this is Emmed; Emmed, say hello to Ar-for." The Mini-Med beeped a greeting only intelligible to droids.
GEAR: Diagnostic Spectacles, Heavy Clothing, Custom Expanded Medpac, Mini-Med Droid, Datapad, Flask.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:34 am

R4 takes a brief moment to say hello to Emmed and in brief binary, asks how ze is treated. After hearing an affirmation of positive treatment in incredibly fast binary, R4 responds to Dr. Cole. *Is Emmed new to your bay? I have not met ze before.*
R4 unit * Uses Ze Zem Zer pronouns * Tech * Will fix things for money * "Colorful" past

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:54 am

"Yes, I've been looking into medical assistants, and Emmed seemed to have considerable potential." Cole stroked the small, hovering droid's chassis affectionately. "I," he paused, pressing his lips together and running a hand through his hair, "I'm not very good at binary, maybe you could help me?"
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:01 am

Droids cannot be jealous. But ze was not used to seeing droids treated with affection. It was...disconcerting to say the least.

Hurriedly, the droid bobs ze's chassis. *Of course. How can I be of assistance?*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 am

"Well, before I go planning a bunch of upgrades and modifications for Emmed, I'd like to be sure that ze's okay with it. I'd like to enhance ze's medical knowledge and install some additional medical tools, but I'm having a little trouble understanding what Emmed has to say about the matter."

Running a hand through his hair, "I'm still working on getting his commlink to talk to my datapad," he added.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:20 am

Ze swiveled ze's optic port to look at Dr. Cole. *Of course. I will endeavor to translate swiftly and accurately.*

Ze turns to Emmed and begins asking some rapid fire binary questions about ze's current state, functionality and explaining briefly what Dr. Cole has planned.

*Will any of the upgrades or modifications change ze's programming radically?* The droid asks, after finishing the rapid binary.

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:25 am

Cole shook his head, "I don't want to change any of Emmed's current programming. I was hoping to install similar directives to those used by the autonomous medical droids that work here in the medbay, and additional databanks on medical procedures and Xenology. The tools would be those needed to perform additional medical procedures."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:38 am

R4 relays this information to Emmed. Emmed replies rapidly and R4 takes a moment to be appreciative for being programmed with more capacity.

*Emmed would be agreeable to these changes, as they would assist him in his work for you and help him learn to integrate with the others. His only request is that you install some manner of game for him to either play internally or on the lab computers for when it is slow. He has noted that some of the other droids have mentioned occasional boredom.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:46 am

Cole smiled lopsidedly and addressed the Mini-Med, "I'm glad to hear that, little buddy. And we'll get this commlink sorted out too, promise." Adjusting his spectacles, "thank you, Ar-for, that really was helpful. Is there anything I can help you with?"
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:11 am

The droid spins ze's head chassis. *There is nothing required at this time. I merely had some time and thought I would come charge here and see if you had any other thoughts on some of the topics we discussed the other day.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:14 am

"On mating rituals?" He'd seen the droid at Zanebry's party, "I understand you had a chance to observe some of these rituals in the wild recently."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:52 am

The droid spins ze's headpiece. *I did. They were...perplexingly varied. I find myself still processing some of the stimuli from that day. But that was not my primary reason for coming. I was curious to learn more about organic genetics and mind structure. It seems imperative to understanding organics in general. *

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:58 am

"That's a large field of study, was there a particular place you wanted to start?" Cole took up his datapad again, its memory was jam-packed with medical texts covering a vast range of topics, touching on all the sentient species humans had knowledge of.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:10 am

The droid paused and then said, *Why do organics harm others? Is it an imperative? Or part of some conquesting algorithm? I have heard multiple possibilities.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:14 am

"There is no one answer to that question. Sentients may hurt each other in many ways, for many reasons. The most, I guess, obvious reason is that a sentient, or group of sentients, has something that the other wants. Territory, credits, power. That's why we came to Bankor, because one group of Mandalorians decided to try and take the planet from its residents by force."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:15 am

The droid processed that. *What if a being has nothing that another wants? Then why?*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:25 am

Grimacing, "revenge is another common motivation. When one sentient has harmed another, they or someone they are close to may seek to hurt that sentient in retaliation. Punishment. A sentient may be harmed by an individual or organisation as a method of 'behaviour correction'. Pleasure. Some sentients derive pleasure from inflicting pain and violence on other beings."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:34 am

The droid lets out an incomprehensible stream of clicks and beeps. *Ahh. That is information I had not previously possessed. I will have to delve more into the holonet and learn more of this.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 am

Nodding, Cole figured that R4OXY would have an easier time cataloguing and cross-referencing the reasons why, and the methods used than he was capable of. The droid would no doubt find far more than the doctor could recall off the top of his head, even if the reasons why mostly boiled down to the same few excuses.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:47 am

*Dr. Cole. You are a doctor. You are required to do no harm. Does this mean you will not harm anyone, even if they seek to harm you?* The droid asked.

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:57 am

"The phrase 'first do not harm', extends back to a centuries-old vow that healers would make to indicate their dedication to the profession. The field has changed significantly, but much of the vow remains the same, and many doctors still take the oath."

He reached into his memory, it was not far below the surface, and he recited, "I will use treatment to help the sick according to my ability and judgment, but never with a view to injury and wrong-doing. Neither will I administer a poison to anybody when asked to do so, nor will I suggest such a course. Into whatsoever houses I enter, I will enter to help the sick, and I will abstain from all intentional wrong-doing and harm, especially from abusing the bodies of man or woman, bond or free."
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Postby R4OXY » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:04 am

The droid's visor port pivoted to look unerringly on the doctor. *And what of those who are neither man nor woman? Are they subject to this same vow? Or are they left out? Free game, so to speak.*

R4OXY

Postby Dr. Cole Ormont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:10 am

"In the word of the oath, they would be left out. That is not the intention of the oath, and language can very easily become cumbersome when trying to be inclusive. Perhaps that is why it is an oath, and not law." Good thing, too, he mused, knowing that he had done intentional wrong-doing and harm.
Speaks Huttese, Mando'a.

Dr. Cole Ormont

Next
Forum Statistics