The region called the Veras Industrial Region is the oldest settled region on the planet.

High Stakes [D13 EA]

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:01 am

The city of Veras survived. Life went on.

Niall found himself sitting in a cafe. The kaff was pretty good; Niall sipped a cup as he waited. The food looked pretty good, too. Perhaps he'd try some of it soon.

It all seemed so mundane. Hard to believe it was almost obliterated. Niall took another sip of his kaff as he waited for Teffa to arrive.
Republic | Human | Captain Alderaan | Inspiring Rhetoric | Nice Cape
Niall Organa

Re: High Stakes [D13 EA]

Postby Teffa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Teffa was on time for her appointment with the Republic officer. Thankfully, laundry was done by the time she disembarked. She was dressed in a blouse and slack with a Kamperdine custom tailored jacket that she shouldn't be able to anywhere near afford with her pay grade. That is, if she had a source of steady income at all.

She strolled up to where the Captain waited for her. "Good afternoon, Captain Niall, was it? I'm Captain Teffa of the Trunk," she said extending her hand. This was indeed the first time they met, discounting that time where they ran into each other at that den of questionable goods. That wasn't her anyway, but another chiss!
Neutral | Chiss | Trucker (Currently) | Gambler | Drifter

Description
Carries: Light Blaster Pistol, Commlink x2, Stimpack, Sabacc Deck

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Rising and smiling, Niall took her hand, giving it a friendly shake. "Captain Niall Organa, Republic Military." He introduced himself; redundant for a few reasons. His lips quirked. "It's nice to see you again, Miss Teffa." She might have passed unrecognized, but Niall was wearing that very cape she'd helped convince him to buy.

"Please." He gestured to the chair opposite from him. "If you'd like anything, feel free. The kaff is better than what's on the ship." He lifted his mug, showing her.

Lowering it, he cleared his throat. "So. Zanebry said he thought you could be of assistance to the Republic." He left it there, leaving her to fill in the rest.
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:05 am

You mean the first time? She thought at first before breaking out into an anxious chuckle, wondering if the captain wanted to disavow any dealings he had with the questionable trader. There might have been worst things to be seen at, admittedly. "Oh, right? That was you there? It seems like forever!" She feigned slight ignorance.

She nodded at the gestured chair and sat down, crossing her legs once she did. "Sure, especially at your recommendation, Captain!"

"Yes, I suppose I might be! I didn't expect to hear about it so soon. It must have been a slow day or the Republic works fast. I guess we were chatting and he mentioned that I might be good at this investigation thing. Not so much with just the investigation portion but dealing with people. I think I do rather decently around them with I'm not gabbing too much," she ended her sentence with a broad smile. I suppose it's not a bad thing, as long as I'm not the one being investigated.

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:40 am

"It has been a while, yes." Niall said mildly, smiling. He'd gained some measure of credulousness since Luth, but there was no denying that Teffa was smooth. He sat once more as she did, straight and tall in his seat.

With an effortlessness born from having servants of one sort or another all of his life, Niall flagged down a waiter. Within a minute, Teffa had a hot cup of kaff in front of her.

"Z and I our close. His recommendation means something to me." He nodded, grimacing delicately. "And you no doubt heard about some of the difficulties we've had with investigations." Niall found himself responding automatically to her smile, smiling warmly in return. "I understand you have a ship, too?"
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:19 am

"Z, uh huh," Teffa murmured under her breath as she reached for the cup of kaff. That wasn't the name she was given of their mutual friend, there wasn't a Z in Berry. She gave a few careful blows of her cup before taking a sip from her kaff.

She gave a slow and clueless shake regarding this investigation. "I'm honoured that I come recommended but I don't think we delve too deeply with any ongoing investigation. I just heard that you needed help and why, yes! I do have a ship. It's not much but it can move an impressive amount of cubic feet at least!"

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:03 am

"There's not an ongoing investigation anymore. Unfortunately. At least, not that I'm a part of." Niall's lips pressed together. "I'm referring to Captain Hurn's operation. And, seperately, Luth Khalan." His expression darkened briefly.

He went on. "I may very well need help." Niall seemed to have forgotten his kaff, focusing on the conversation; it was slowly growing cold. "And both of those things might be what I need. I'm looking to set up supply runs between Alderaan and Bankor. Obviously, I need ships, and captains. Have you ever been to Alderaan, miss Teffa?" He asked.
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 am

While Niall might have forgotten about his cup, Teffa took another slow sip from hers as she listened to his every word and just stop short of slurping. She lowered her cup once more after the question. "Help and a ship? I'd say that's part of the same package if you're looking for me to tag along in your operation, Captain. I can't say I've ever been to Alderaan at all but I know from word of mouth that it's a pretty fancy place and one of the Republic's best. As for these supply runs, are we talking about the...routine sort?"

That was to say, legal and troublefree.

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:52 am

His lips quirked. "Perfect. Hmmm. But to explain Alderaan... fancy is one way to describe it." He said. Not the way he'd choose, but doubtless others would. "That why I don't need just any captains. I need captains with an ability to-" he smiled, "-charm. Something that helps quite a bit with the nobility of Alderaan. Take it from a member."

Niall frowned, drumming his fingers on the tables. "I... would expect routine." He said, entirely innocently, missing the significance of the question. "It's not, so far as I know, an existing trade route. That's one of those things I should probably know." His lips quirked. "But I'm hoping that Alderaan can take the lead in the reconstruction of Bankor. Perhaps where Alderaan goes, others will follow."
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:26 am

She chuckled with a few nods, "I get the feeling that I might be able to fit in with some pointers here and there. I may have never stepped foot on Alderaan before but I've attended a few galas, fundraisers and grand openings before when it comes to gambling. There are a few dresses that I keep around for such occasions. Of course, there might be some fibs that might be told, just to seem all the more enchanting. I'll just have to keep track of them if I ever run into any familiar faces."

"Right!" She said with a few slow nods, getting a vague idea that it was a legitimate operation. Just to be sure, she spelled it out for him. "I take it that everything I'll be transporting will come from you and will be signed off by you? I'm just asking in case I run into any other inspectors who might be looking for a break in the wrong places."

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 am

Niall couldn't help but smile at that. "Perfect. Enchanting is precisely what you should go for. It sounds as though you have just the right idea." He studied her a moment, one eyebrow going up. "Gambling, eh? I suppose that explains how you know Z."

He tilted his head, frowning curiously. "I'm... not a quartermaster, myself." He said. Perhaps he should have asked Zane to be here for this. The language of shippers seemed to be a little different than he was used to. "But I do expect to be in-charge of the overall effort, if that's what you mean. I'll sign off on whatever you need. And if not me, then an official representative of the Alderaanian government."

"Looking for a break..." The frown deepened. "I don't quite follow. Do you mean a shake-down?"
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:35 pm

"Ahah, I suppose so!" She nodded along with a quick smile. That was another conversation topic that didn't come up between her and Z, just happened to pick up more stuff about 'Berry' by being around other people. "Z keeps his cards pretty close, I've found! He's a tough one to get a read on."

"Oooh, that makes things easier," she nodded enthusiastically. "Not that I'm adverse to things being hard but that does make the job easier. I mean, sometimes...people like to heckle others who don't have their logo or insignia painted on their ship hull, which is all fine and reasonable. I'm sure they just want to keep their pay grade and look good while doing it."

It wasn't her intention to make her experience with the Republic seem bad.

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 pm

"He is, yes." Niall agreed blandly. Z wasn't the only one. Teffa was proving to be a rather elusive target herself.

His lips quirked. "Well. The advantage to doing jobs officially for the Republic is that you'll have the backing of the Republic. I shouldn't expect that you'll have any difficulties at all.

Finally remembering his kaff, Niall took a sip, grimacing as he did so. "I must stress, this project is still in its infancy, so to speak. At this point, it's more of a possibility than a firm offer. But..." Setting down his cup, he spread his hands. "The people of Bankor need help. And while the Republic may be slow to fight, I rather hope we can muster resources faster for a mercy mission. So, hopefully we'll be able to use you soon. If that sounds like something you want to be a part of?" His eyebrows went up.
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:31 pm

That makes things much easier. She thought to herself, her run-in with the military police around base was too fresh on her mind. If she wasn't able to talk her way out, she imagined that she would be elsewhere and not sipping on this delicious high-quality kaff.

"I can understand things being so nebulous, especially coming from the heels of the Republic victory here! The smoke hasn't really gotten a chance to clear, so to speak. We might be jumping the blaster here but I'm more than willing to bet on the project here! That is to say, I'm willing to take part in this." So long it allows her to visit Alderaan too, of course.

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 am

Niall shook his head. "Very much not." He said. "It's a little daunting to look around and think about how little of this would be here if our strike team hadn't managed to stop Varo Kryze last night. Or, at least, I find it so." Niall pursed his lips; for a moment, it looked as though he was about to say more, but he shook his head.

At her affirmative response, Niall gave Teffa his best smile, the one usually reserved for recruiting posters. "I'm glad to hear that, miss Teffa. Thank you." He gave her an encouraging nod. "Perhaps, then, do you think you could tell me more about yourself? I like to know about the people I'm working with. I'd be happy to return the favor, of course."
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:46 am

"I only heard that it wasn't easy," She nodded solemnly at that. "Although what follows here is bound to be just as difficult, I bet." Easier to walk away from than stick around. "But I bet the Republic is going is going to stay as long as it takes. It just doesn't seem like them to walk away after being so involved, if you don't mind me saying so, Captain."

Teffa let out a small breath, not knowing where quite to begin with that question. Or rather, what to even tell him. "Well, it depends how much you've heard about the Ascendency, which isn't probably much. It's not too important, considering that I grew up around the satellite planets with three other siblings. It wasn't political central like on one of the core worlds but still politician central. My homeworld was more or less a resort world, just the sort with more pine trees and lakes than beaches. Considering how it is like the core worlds, that's considered tropical."

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:38 am

Niall nodded. "Indeed, that's very much my hope. The fact that the resources spent on this task force have been below projection should make the task more viable. All it needs is the political will." He smiled. "So no, I don't mind you saying that at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As he listened to Teffa's words, Niall's expression was interested. The description of her world made him grin. "If you liked your homeworld, I think you'll like Alderaan. It sounds very much like you describe.

Again, he nodded. "So... you say your world was politician central. Does that mean your family was a political one?"
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:04 pm

"I do hear from a few people...well, maybe one, that you're known as Captain Alderaan around here. I guess they don't have too many other captains from Alderaan! But I take it that you have the clout for such an endeavour, especially being such an upstanding guy!" She looked at him to confirm that flattering fact.

Teffa chuckled and gave a shrug of her shoulder. If she liked her homeworld, she might have stayed there, Chiss weren't exactly commonplace around the galaxy. "Well, I tend to do well around people! Most Chiss families are political to some degree but I guess mine isn't completely political by definition, just very well connected. We own a lot of property on the resort world that gets rented, loaned and sold to the few people who could afford it. Most of the properties consist of a really impressive estate with plots of land that were at least one hundred times to the size of the estate. Maybe I could have tried my hand at the political thing if I stuck around." Don't know if I would have the patience for it, however.

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:31 am

Niall gave her a wry smile at that. "Yep. That's me." He shook his head, chuckling. "Actually, the nickname was started by a Sith of all things, and largely because of my, ah, upstanding nature. Anyway, once recruiting got ahold of it, they really ran with the idea, and now it follows me around." He sighed, nodding. "But yes. I should have the clout necessary to get this done."

"Hmmm." Niall said, pursing his lips. "I think I understand the distinction. Political, but not in politics, maybe? That sounds rather fraught."

He smiled. "In some ways, that's not too different from the noble houses on Alderaan. They're undoubtedly political, but often have other projects. Business or infrastructure or... whatever." No sense trying to describe Rist Or Thul to her. "Ultimately, they do tend to end up in politics. I expect that to be my eventual fate."
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:27 am

Teffa took a moment to savour some coffee in the middle of their talks, taking a few quick sips as the coffee had gotten cool enough to do that without getting burned. She set down her cup and nodded approvingly. "Hah, sound like to me that you have fans among the Sith too, even. That's a good thing, right?" She said, meaning the question to be completely rhetorical, despite the fact that she couldn't shake thinking about the current peace between both factions and how long it may potentially last.

"I'm sure it's the nature of Chiss to see politics in everything, I suppose it might be obvious when it comes to having extensive dealings with politicians through business but it exists in all facets of life. Even down to two neighbours sharing baking materials. There are houses and an aristocracy in the Ascendency as well. I guess in my case, I've removed myself from it. For you, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already."

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 am

Niall chuckled. "Maybe. I think mostly she just had a peculiar sense of humor."

For his part, Niall seemed to be done drinking his kaff; after one last sip, he slid the mug away. "Hmmm. Is that a Chiss characteristic? I know it's a characteristic of my fellows in the nobility. I suppose, as you said, I don't know much about the Ascendency."

He grimaced delicately. "It will happen. It's inevitable. I wanted to do my part in the military. Move from there into politics, with an eye towards a more galactic stage." Niall's lips quirked. "If my parents had their way, it would have happened by now. I expect they'll resume their campaign when I return to Alderaan."
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:25 am

"I suppose that's more or less how it is at home. The Chiss you see around here are probably a little more atypical if they're hanging around outside of the Ascendency," she smirked faintly. "But probably not by much, I just see things differently. My sort of negotiation and politicking really goes on the sabacc table, at least where I found I'm best at."

She narrowed her eyes slightly and took in his reactions as he talked about his looming political responsibilities. "That doesn't sound like much of a homecoming party. I guess there's no rest waiting for you, even being a noble. You seem to do well around people, but do you think you'll do well putting up with people when things get thick in politics?" Things can't be completely squeaky clean, even in your world.

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 am

"Indeed." Niall said, smiling slightly. "Well, there's certainly that sort of thing on Alderaan. Many of my fellows enjoy their games of chance, although they tend to prefer racing. Animals." He clarified. "Still, I've found that my political training prepared me well enough for sabacc, so I imagine the reverse is true as well."

No rest indeed. Niall sighed. "Yes, I can hardly call it a retirement. More of a career change. Fewer blaster bolts, more speeches." His lips quirked. "It's probably an improvement. But mostly, this seems to be the best way I can serve now. In five or ten years, perhaps that will change."

Niall waved a hand. "I expect I will. I've already been trained, as appropriate for a scion of House Organa. And being an officer requires more politicking than one might expect. The main thing that I've learned is that if something seems to be too good to be true, there may be a catch. Everything is worth double-checking." He smiled blandly.
Niall Organa

Postby Teffa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 am

Teffa couldn't help but laugh, "It's really more down a matter of perspective but I think I could surprise myself if I give it a try."

Fewer blaster bolts, being a politician doesn't discount you from all blaster bolts at least. Teffa thought back to the incident where there was an assassination on the future figurehead of Bankor where she helped for a day. "I'm sure that there might be some things that'll seem similar, hopefully, good parts of your new position. I suppose you might need people like me to go around to do the double-checking from time to time?"

Description

Arbee, Droid
Teffa

Postby Niall Organa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:04 pm

"No doubt." Niall agreed dryly.

Niall laughed softly. "Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is all just an extension of me being a Captain in the Republic military. I'm not about to be retiring to politics just yet. Although based on all of this, when I do, I expect the transition to be a relatively smooth one."

"But yes." Niall nodded. "That's one of the things that I count on Zane for." Niall's lips twisted. "But, as I have thus far been unable to hire him for more than a few months, I suppose I'll have to count on his recommendations instead."
Niall Organa

Next
Forum Statistics