Single large tent divided into a recreation area and a gym.

D7, LM, Open- What is this...recreation you speak of?

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 am

R40XY hadn't quite been able to restrain ze's curiosity circuits. Having spent most of ze's life aboard ships, ze was less familiar with earthbound pursuits or recreation of this kind. In order to understand the meatbeasts better, ze had decided to go investigate the recreation hall ze had been informed of. So far, it looked perplexing.
R4 unit * Uses Ze Zem Zer pronouns * Tech * Will fix things for money * "Colorful" past

Jetpack attached, long range comlink installed. Lockpicks inside chassis.

Speaks only in binary and beeps and whistles. Speech indicated by *speech*
R4OXY

Re: D7, LM, Open- What is this...recreation you speak of?

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 am

Tra was present, resting in a chair when the droid entered. He had his datapad out and was reading up on cultural norms of Bothans as R4OXY passed by. "You look lost, little droid. Can I help you out?" he asks, resting his datapad on his lap. His voice was a bit less clear than usual, and his face had recent scarring and was slightly misshapen on the right side.
Neutral * Kel Dor * Scholar * Retired Republic Staff Officer * Commanding Presence * Resolute
Equipment: Long Range Comlink, Datapad, Light Blaster Pistol, Antitox Breath Mask, Heavy Clothing

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 am

R40XY heaved a small sigh and wished ze had been built as a battle droid. Being called little was distinctly annoying. However, the meatbeast did appear to be attempting to help. *I am merely...observing. I have little experience with recreation.*
R4 unit * Uses Ze Zem Zer pronouns * Tech * Will fix things for money * "Colorful" past

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am

"I see. Well, there are many things that the soldiers do for recreation. I myself prefer studying or games of strategy or tactics," he says with a nod. "If you're up for it, I could show you how to play Shah-tezh."
Neutral * Kel Dor * Scholar * Retired Republic Staff Officer * Commanding Presence * Resolute
Equipment: Long Range Comlink, Datapad, Light Blaster Pistol, Antitox Breath Mask, Heavy Clothing

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:59 am

Tra Kize wrote:"I see. Well, there are many things that the soldiers do for recreation. I myself prefer studying or games of strategy or tactics," he says with a nod. "If you're up for it, I could show you how to play Shah-tezh."

R40XY turned ze's head at that. *I have never played this game before. That would be interesting. My designation is R40XY. Let us commence this activity.*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 am

"A pleasure to meet you R4OXY. I am Tra Kize," the Kel Dor says in greeting. He rises and moves to a game table that the droid can access.

Looking up the basic rules on his datapad, he offers it to the droid so it can interface and know how to play. "The rules are simple, the strategies are complex. You can download the rules from my datapad if you'd like or I can explain them if you prefer."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:07 am

The droid accepts the datapad and interfaces quickly, scanning the basic rules. *This method was preferable. Your offer is noted however Tra Kize.*

The droid moves its optical port to center on the board. *Let us begin.*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am

"Very well," Tra says with a nod. He takes it relatively easy early on, giving R4OXY the opportunity to perform tactical analysis on the movements of the different pieces. He expects that it won't take very long to get the hang of it, considering any Droid that is programmed for curiosity is going to be a quick study.

"So, R4OXY, what is your primary purpose?"

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:23 am

Tra Kize wrote:"Very well," Tra says with a nod. He takes it relatively easy early on, giving R4OXY the opportunity to perform tactical analysis on the movements of the different pieces. He expects that it won't take very long to get the hang of it, considering any Droid that is programmed for curiosity is going to be a quick study.

"So, R4OXY, what is your primary purpose?"

R40XY follows the patterns, assessing that the being is taking it slightly easier than might be indicated and using that time to ze's advantage. *I was primarily designed to work as a mechanic and assistant aboard starships. What of yourself?*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:34 am

"I am a professor in warfare, political science and economics, retired from the Republic Navy where I was a staff officer," he says. "Been assisting with the resistance for a while now."

Despite the droid taking advantage of his relaxed playstyle, as he noticed improvements in tactics from R4OXY Tra put his experience and tactical acumen to work.

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 am

Ze saw his skill increase and compensated as best as was possible with the limited permutations ze had currently undergone. However, this should not take long to acquire more skill at. *Ah. What does a professor in warfare teach about? How to conduct war or methods of waging war? Or other elements?*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 am

"Many different aspects of war go into training officers. Goal oriented strategic planning, tactical analysis and command, proper support operations like resource management and personnel health and welfare, budgetary execution and acquisitions. There is a lot that goes into ensuring the readiness of a unit for combat activities."

He continues matching up with the droid, often focusing on piece exchanges to allow it to experience the changing landscape that having fewer pieces creates.

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:12 am

The droid plays intently, watching each of the moves the other makes. *And where do droids fall in this teaching? As supplies and acquisitions? Soldiers? Equipment? I am curious as to your ideas on the matter.*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 am

"On a strategic level droid acquisitions are considered in much the same manner as any other manpower acquisitions. The unit requires a skill set for functions, and it considers options for filling that requirement. Sometimes that means droids, sometimes it's contracting from private companies, and sometimes it's enlistment and training. There is usually no distinction made and the most effective choice must be made based on situational understanding," Tra explains. "But it is also important to know your personnel and have the proper resources and facilities to maintain their wellness."

Tra seems quite comfortable with speaking and playing, apparently used to doing both simultaneously.

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Once again, the R4 unit found itself surprised. Perhaps the Republic had more of an interest in droids than others R40XY had met. *That seems logical.*

Spinning ze's processors for a moment, ze finds another question. *So what do you mean when you say the strategies are more complex? Is there an aspect I have not incorporated?*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Tra looks to the droid and thinks about how to phrase his explanation.

"Strategy used in the game is the true purpose of it. The rules are in place in order to facilitate a competition with the goal of capturing the Imperator in a situation where it is helpless. To that end one can create strategies around a number of factors specific to the participants. Prediction, leverage and sacrifice are integral parts of creating those strategies. As the game progresses one's strategic plans must evolve to account for the changes on the board. The more you play with a person, the more you can come to understand their capabilities, but the reverse is also true," he states.

"Take, for instance, my Vizier. I moved it early on to this sector but have only moved it in reaction to moves yo made to threaten it, always working it back to the same area. It keeps pressure on that section of the board, and limits the actions you can take. I've been studying how you deal with that so as to gain a better understanding of how you assess threats. This allows me to analyze your responses to similar moves, building something of a prediction model that I can use during this game and in future games. Now that you are aware of what I'm doing however, you can change up your process to refine how you defend. But the interplay of us learning from one another makes understanding each other that much more complex."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

The droid processes this new data, churning it through some of ze's newer processer banks. *So as one gathers more data about one's possibly predictable actions, one learns how to more accurately predict future actions and respond to them in kind. This prompts other, possibly different actions and the algorithm continues evolving.*

The droid makes a few beeping noises that could not be translated, but sounded positive. *Your explanation is most logical and illuminating. It is as if we are two programs, running in tandem, working on the same set of data in different ways.*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm

He nods his agreement with the droid's assessment. "And on top of that, one can maintain different models based on different opponents. In the time between matches you can analyze the moves of the match and identify the more effective strategies that were used, your opponents or your own, and update your own methods with that new extrapolated understanding. Across many opponents and over time you can refine your understanding of the game, enabling you to compete with those that are even more skilled and experienced, to further improve your own game. This is what I enjoy most about strategic games, they are a constant means of improving your cognitive processes and analytical capabilities."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 pm

The droid gives a series of untranslatable clicks and beeps. *Most interesting. I had not previously encountered these concepts on strategy games. I had learned something of application of one mind against another within a social context, but not within a recreational one.*

Remembering a few maneuvers ze had been taught by the syndicate, ze attempts a feinting maneuver, seeking to draw out Tra's vizier.

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 pm

From where the Vizier is placed there is limited damage that most pieces can do if it is taken, so rather than protecting it he moves a piece into position that would require the droid to defend or he will lose multiple pieces in exchange for it, shifting to a far more aggressive exchange strategy.

"It won't take you very long to truly understand the game. You are a very quick study," Tra says with a chuckle.

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 am

The droid booped an affirmative. *I am adept at study.* The droid defends, trying to counter the possible loss here. Thankfully, ze had not actually wanted the vizier. Perhaps this feinting would work.

*How long have you played this recreational activity?*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 am

"My father taught me when I was able to learn, so a few years shy of fifty," Tra says. "I've participated in a few competitive leagues in my years as well, so I've played against some truly gifted professionals. But now I mostly do so just for fun, sometimes teaching younger folks getting into it. When I'm teaching at the Republic Naval Academy on Coruscant I act as the club adviser and coach."

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:26 am

Ze clicks and moves a piece, trying to make some kind of pincer, but unsure if ze is succeeding. *What is it like, to have a father? Is it like having an owner? Or different?*

R4OXY

Postby Tra Kize » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm

"It depends on your relationship with them. I imagine for some it may be like having an owner or master. For me it was like having a permanent teacher, until I left home. Then he became more like a permanent critic. Families can have very different dynamics based on personalities, culture, and environment," he explains.

With half a century of experience, the novice droids moves we're pretty easy to understand even with distracting conversation. But Tra was of the belief that this curious droid wanted problems to solve and to learn more than it wanted to win, so the Kel Door shifted his strategy to something more defensive to force the droid to figure out how to penetrate that defense.

Description
Tra Kize

Postby R4OXY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 am

A small whirring sound is emitted from deep inside the chassis. *It seems as though organics have many difficult to isolate variables within their social interactions. It makes creating models based on their behavior quite difficult.*

Seeing the defenses move in, the droid felt a moment of confusion. This dod not seem to compute with the previous style of play. *Why are you changing your structures?*

R4OXY

Next
Forum Statistics